Muting and Un-Muting
Here are some more playing tips!
1. Hold the large flat surface parallel to the floor. Shake away!
2. Hold the large flat surface perpendicular to the floor. A very different sound.
3. Experiment creating rhythms by interchanging the horizontal and vertical positions.
4. Play the instrument horizontally and insert occasional up-down accents.
5. Play horizontally and insert occasional accents as if throwing it over your shoulder (striking the large surface).
6. Play a fast rhythm and occasionally accent it on the palm of your free hand.
7. Play the instrument like a tambourine.
8. Grab the instrument on its sides (spreading your hand out). Gradually increase the speed and intensity of the right/left motion for a dramatic accent / fill.
9. Pinch the instrument between your thumb and forefinger. Give it s generally increase from slow to fast and high volume to low volume. Altogether different from #8 above!
10. Place the instrument in both hands (as if praying). Play in a back and forth motion while loosening your grip. The sound of the box shaker will change.
11. Try alternating between lap and palm taps. Become your own backbeat machine!
12. Experiment and have fun! There are many more sounds you can achieve.